G.L Watson & Co yacht design studio has discovered one of the last remaining classic interwar yachts, announcing the opportunity to restore her to her former glory.
As one of the last remaining large American interwar motor yachts, 48 metre ‘Caritas’, was first built in 1925 by the Krupp Shipyard to a Cox & Stevens design for J.P. Bartram, a New York sugar magnate.
Upon being acquired by the Navy in 1941, she served four years before being decommissioned in 1945. After decades of disuse, G.L Watson & Co has announced that they rediscovered the hull just in time to save her from being scrapped.
In her present state, she requires extensive refit work. She is largely original with timber decks, some interior panelling and no welded repairs. All engines, pipework and wiring were removed prior to her moving to her current location.
The current condition of Caritas makes her an ideal candidate for restoration, similar to projects such as Blue Bird, Nahlin, and most recently, Malahne. Upon completion, she will rejoin her stablemates, Dona Amelia (ex. Haida) and Talitha G (ex. Reveller).
Restored to modern superyacht standards and regulations, her interior volume will provide owner and guest accommodation for 10, with a spacious main salon and separate dining room on the main deck. The shade deck is large enough to provide ample space for dining, lounging and entertaining outdoors, as well as storage for motor launch RIB and dinghies.
As with many classic American yachts of the period, the whole aft main deck is shaded by an elegant sun awning creating a comfortable and private space for dining and lounging above the yacht’s counter stern.
For more information, visit G.L Watson & Co.