The crew at Wight Vodka has announced that the Sint Maarten Yacht Club, at Simpson Bay Bridge in Antilles has been voted the world’s favourite yachting bar.
Together with Scuttlebutt Europe, and now in its fourth year, Wight Vodka again asked its yachting fraternity to vote for their favourite bar over the last month. This year, the sheer volume of online voting exceeded last year’s competition, demonstrating the passion we all have for a great watering hole.
Wight Vodka explained that this year’s contest was again extremely tight between the winning bar and the runners up, including the Navi Bar in Glucksburg, Germany, The King & Queen in Hamble, GB, the Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club, the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club, the Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI, the Pierview in Cowes on the Isle of Wight, the Candy Store in Newport, Rhode Island, Gladstone’s in Long Beach, California, and the Sailor’s Inn in Gocek, Turkey.
Ritu Manocha, owner of 50° North, the company behind Wight Vodka, said “This contest is just too much fun to run. Though we’ve never been to the Sint Maarten Yacht Club, it’s definitely on our list of bars to visit. The team at Sint Maarten will receive a trophy and bottle of Wight to celebrate their win, as well as a few Wight Vodka regatta caps for their win. Many congratulations and let the party begin.”
Ritu continued, “We again asked participants to comment about their favourite bar. We received thousands of fantastic submissions, and our favourite entries this year include:
- I was stung by a school of jellyfish and the bar tender brought me the best Pain Killer ever
- The Dark and Stormies is the perfect sailor's libation, because you can drink more of them than those Wight Martinis
- The club is across the road from the village pump
- If you are a sailor and fed up with having to dress up to go to a yacht club and then being dragged into club politics, this bar is for you
- It has the best brick oven pizza south of Chicago
- Great staff, amazing rum punch, wonderful company, superb sailing and beautiful women. It feels like the waiting room of Paradise
- It’s the place to watch as £$£$£$£ worth of mega yachts squeeze through the Bridge opening as the sun goes down
- I can count on John to tell me great stories and ply me with drinks
- The Tarte Flambee is awesome
- An eclectic mix of clientele, from the young guns of yachting to those whose glory days may be receding rapidly into the past
- And has the best bar bell challenge, which often leads to the compass room stairs bobsleigh run
- Everyone who visits knows that when the club is in party mood, it is a very dangerous animal indeed
- It's just perfect, because sometimes they cancel the "last order" and simply leave the bar open
- Ice cold beers, hard core sailors from all over the world and the most beautiful Brazilian girls dancing from dusk till dawn
- I found my ex-boyfriend there…
For further information about Wight Vodka, visit http://www.wightvodka.com/.