YP Terrace

YPI CREW data reveals the yachting industry to be in “a very healthy shape”

YPI CREW has unveiled its latest Yacht Crew Trends report, which, backed by 2017 crew-recruitment data, shows the yachting industry to be in “a very healthy shape”.

The recruiter's previous review of 2016 yacht-job data showed positive recruitment and staffing trends, with 2017’s results showing no sign of this abating.

Results revealed that, for the third year in a row, the majority of yacht jobs were on yachts over 71 metres (233-foot) in length, with a 39% share of total crew positions. This is a rise of 5% on 2016 figures (34%). Yachts between 51 and 70 metres followed in second place, with a 32.2% total share of yacht jobs. This is a slight drop on 2016’s figure of 32.4%.

In further proof that today’s superyachts are getting bigger, yachts between 31 and 50m have witnessed a 2% drop in their share of the yacht-job market. According to YPI, this is reflective of a larger downward trend, as, in 2016, this same segment registered a drop of 5% on the previous year’s figures.

As reflects the global yachting market, a dominating 90.5% of yacht jobs are on motor yachts, while the remaining 9.5% of yacht job vacancies are for positions on board sailing yachts. These results are consistent with figures released last year.

In 2017, 67.7% of yacht-job positions were on private yachts, while the remaining 32.3% of vacancies were for charter yachts. YPI advised that crew should therefore “not wait around” for work on charter yachts.

Just 3.6% of yacht-crew positions were for captain jobs; a further drop on 2016’s figures of 4.4%. It is revealing to note, however, that 2017 was YPI CREW’s second busiest year in terms of officer registration, which leads to questions about if there are going to be enough captain jobs on yachts in years to come. Along with a near-record year for officer registration, YPI revealed that it was its second busiest year for registrations for engineering positions; most of whom were looking for rotational contracts.

A record number of new interior crew registrations were also uncovered in 2017, with a 19.6% increase on the previous year. In fact, the number of total new-candidate registrations has increased by 15% in the last 12 months and by 37% over the last 24 months, proving yachting is an industry in expansion.

YPI revealed that 2017 was also a milestone year for it as a company, with it seeing record numbers of job orders and placements in its 15 years of trading, including a 6% increase in terms of jobs in the last 12 months.

Laurence Lewis, director of YPI CREW, commented, "2017 was a busy year with record numbers of jobs and crew registrations, which is the sign of a healthy industry. However, this positive big picture should not detract from the fact that the yachting employment market in remains tense with a great discrepancy between job offers and crew expectations, and between required skills and skills available on the market.

“More than ever, the advice for employers is to work closely with well-established recruiters who know their markets well and to follow their advice. Already, 2018 has started on a fast pace, so here’s to a great season for all."

To view the full report, visit YPI CREW.

2G Marine News Button

Twitter Icon

Yachting Pages

2G Marine News Button

Submit a business reviewView current promotions