The 2018 edition of Blue Marine Foundation’s annual charity cycle ride from London to Monaco has begun today (19th September).
The cycling challenge, which concludes 24 hours prior to the start of Monaco Yacht Show, aims to raise funds and awareness for the UK-based charity, which is dedicated to marine conservation.
Cycling and marine enthusiasts from around the world have booked on to take part in one-day or multi-day stints, with the week-long event covering eight European countries and a total distance of 644 miles.
The provisional itinerary is as follows:
- Day 1: London – Dover (84 miles)
- Day 2: Calais – Roubaix (75 miles)
- Day 3: Mondorf – Strasbourg (118 miles)
- Day 4: Strasbourg – Pfeffingen (86 miles)
- Day 5: Martigny – Ivrea (106 miles)
- Day 6: Ivrea – Loano (115 miles)
- Day 7: Loano – Monte Carlo (60 miles)
Blue Marine Foundation has confirmed that £180,000 has been raised heading into this year’s edition. Funds will be put towards achieving significant conservation gains in Ascension, St Helena, Lyme Bay and the Mediterranean.
The charity has released a highlights video following the 2017 edition, which raised £290,000.