Spanish superyacht refit and repair yard MB92 Barcelona has received its ISO 50001 certificate for energy management from Lloyd’s Register. The certification adds to the ISO 9001 and 14001 already in place.
According to the yard, the certificate represents the culmination of months of hard work and significant investment, with the following examples of energy efficiency improvements made in the MB92 Barcelona facilities as part of the new management system:
- Cooling towers to reduce electrical consumption during the refrigeration of vessels
- Aero thermic container to reduce gasoil consumption in paint tent heating systems
- Smart meter systems to improve monitoring and control of electric systems
In addition to the hardware, MB92 Barcelona has developed and implemented a number of internal operational changes that have had considerable impact:
- An enhanced procurement strategy that considers energy efficiency as a key deciding factor when forming working partnerships and selecting products
- In-house training on energy efficient working methods provided to key teams involved in operational activities in the facilities
After being presented with the certificate from Natalia Varela, Lloyd’s Register service delivery manager for Spain, Portugal and Cuba, Miquel Àngel Lliteras, MB92 Barcelona shipyard manager, noted, “As with all the other ISO Certificates established in MB92 Barcelona, this new certification is the result of great team work and a commitment to continually improve in the search for excellence.
“We have taken great strides forward in how we approach current environmental challenges and by improving the way in which we operate in the shipyard to gain greater efficiency, we will also be able to pass these benefits on to our clients.”