The countdown begins for the vessels over 150GT to have the BNWAS retrofitted onboard at the first survey after 1st July 2012.
A BNWAS a mandated requirement and is essentially a ‘dead man’s alarm system’ intended to ensure the officer on watch si alert and competent to carry out his duties. It is, in effect, a timer, which counts down, the officer resets this at pre-set intervals, with the device triggering an alarm if the Office of the Watch becomes incapacitated.
In line with the resolution, SOLAS Chapter V (Safety of navigation) Regulation 19 (Carriage requirements for ship borne navigational systems and equipment) BNWAS is required, as follows:
- Cargo ships of 150 gross tonnage and upwards and passenger ships irrespective of size constructed on or after 1 July 2011;
- Passenger ships irrespective of size constructed before 1 July 2011, not later than the first survey after 1 July 2012;
- Cargo ships of 3,000 gross tonnage and upwards constructed before 1 July 2011, not later than the first survey after 1 July 2012;
- Cargo ships of 500 gross tonnage and upwards but less than 3,000 gross tonnage constructed before 1 July 2011, not later than the first survey after 1 July 2013; and
- Cargo ships of 150 gross tonnage and upwards but less than 500 gross tonnage constructed before 1 July 2011, not later than the first survey after 1 July 2014.
The Net-Logic system wireless system has been designed specifically for the Commercial marine and Yacht industries; its robust mesh network negates the need for costly and disruptive cabling, interior alterations and major electrical work.
Not only does the unit not require any major remedial work but it has been proven to be fitted in less than a day, the cost advantages and simplicity of installation is making this the preferred product for many fleet and yacht owners alike.
Net Logic are proud to announce that the company has gained full MCA type approval for both its WatchKeeper and WatchKeeper+ systems, the system is proven to penetrate bulkheads and decks making compliance simple.
The world’s first ever type approved wireless Bridge Navigation Watch Alarm System. WatchKeeper is the only BNWAS that offers speed and simplicity in installation; stunning design and ease of use in operation, and Net-Logic have the only approved system.
For more information plesae visit Net-Logic.
Or follow Net-Logic on Twitter