According to fire protection specialist Wormald, when planning and designing a fire protection solution in a marine vessel, consultation is critical. Close collaboration between management, personnel and the fire protection specialist will better help identify fire and explosion hazards and highlight any unique challenges on board.
Garry Kwok, national technical fervices manager with Wormald said, “In the marine industry there are many risk areas, which require specialised protection methods. It is important for operators, engineers, technical staff and senior management to consult with a fire protection specialist so that they can plan effectively and provide the most appropriate solution.”
Wormald has extensive experience in the design, supply, installation and commissioning of marine, naval and military fire protection, safety and security systems.
Once a risk assessment is carried out, the fire protection specialist should be able to determine and recommend the most appropriate fire protection solutions. Wormald’s marine solutions include fire protection, life safety and communication systems and services such as:
- MX Technology detection systems which integrate heat and smoke detectors with specialised MX series control panels. The sophisticated intelligence of these systems can also provide a robust and rapid analysis of fire activity.
- Digital networking communication systems including public address, passenger information displays, care communication and intercom systems.
- Breathing Apparatus products such as emergency air systems, gas and respiratory masks, communication devices, air compressors, gas detection units and thermal imaging cameras. Gas detection solutions also include ballast tank and cargo pump room monitoring and specialist infrared sensors for unique risks.
- A range of non-life threatening gas flooding systems including: Inergen®, designed to suppress fires without causing harm to people or damage to equipment. It does not fog and obscure escape routes and is environmentally friendly.
Novec 1230 fire protection fluid (SAPPHIRE™) which uses an inert carbon-based chemical agent and is approved for storage inside protected space. It has no harmful impact on the environment.
- Specialist extinguishing systems such as water mist systems for accommodation spaces, hot foam for machinery spaces as well as foam and dry powder solutions.
- Portable fire equipment such as fire hose reels, portable fire extinguishers.
Wormald also provides a range of fire safety training and emergency training courses to give staff the skills and confidence to make the right decisions and act quickly in the event of a workplace fire.
Wormald is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) with certified.
For further information visit, www.wormald.com.au